Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 11 -- All About Tech, My Second Love: Part 2

I write this evening from my UD house, The Nest.  I've added it to Foursquare as a Pub with a suggestion to stop in share a beer with The Nest boys, including Joey Edmundson (welcome back, Buddy!).  It's good to be home.

Because it's already getting late into the evening and I have a little familiarizing I need to do with the rest of campus, this post will be a little shorter than I'd have typically written.  Nevertheless -- please find below some of my future hopes and dreams.

(Find Part 1 here.)

TED
I'll start right away with this TED Talk from Aubrey de Grey: A roadmap to end aging.  His talk is one of my very favorites (and not just because of his incredible beard).  de Grey provides some big answers for the big philosophical questions that come with the idea of biologically immortal humans.  He first says that we not only should, but have an obligation to research and develop the therapies and practices that might allow for future lifespans many factors of today's.  If you don't have the time now, I strongly recommend saving this video to watch later.

Video below -- he does have some updated talks -- this is 2007.


Basically, between Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Ray Kurzweil, and de Grey, my position on aging and death is this:  Through exercise and a diet packed with micronutrient vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, a continued exponential doubling of computer processing capabilities leading to the Singularity, and a commitment by the scientific community to develop age-defeating therapies, I will live long enough to live forever.  Along with Kurzweil and d Grey, I believe it is possibly, if not likely, that the first humans to live to 250 - 1,000 years old have already been born.

Wikipedia
Around that 1,000 year old mark (or long before), "mankind" will have taken command of disease, aging, and its own genetics in such a way that will significantly differentiate itself from today's and all of current history's "mankind".  Among other traits that are likely incomprehensible at this point in time with today's technological limitations, it is likely that the group in existence would be more accurately described/labeled as Transhumans.

When Oscar Pistorius, or The Blade Runner, competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics, my first thoughts jumped to what the 2052 Summer Olympics will look like.  At that point, it isn't at all unreasonable to believe prosthetics will have advanced not only to a point equal in ability in form of natural biological limbs, but to a point far, far past them.  I bet the Olympics will have added a games exclusive to "unmodified" humans.  I wonder, what year will it be that the first group of healthy humans opt into limb replacement voluntarily?

Future Trends...I Think Slideshow
To keep within my length limit (and to wrap up in a timely enough manner to make it over to Kiefaber), I'm making public a Google presentation I made a year and a half ago about future trends to present to an investment group on campus.  Find it here: Future Trends... I Think.

Spanish Word
pecueca -- smelly feet smell

Everyday Photo
January 11, 2014

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment