Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 17 -- SR26, the USDA's nutrient database

Since I've started reading Fuhrman's Eat for Health and have been blending on a daily basis with my Vita-Mix Blending Station, I have become obsessed with finding the perfect human diet.  After some pretty intense googling, I was able to narrow my searches to government released database files.  After I learned that what I was looking for is called the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 26, I realized it isn't as hidden my toils searching suggested.

This 26th release of our nation's nutrient database (most recently revised in November of 2013) is the nutritional information for 8,463 foods, including 46 different macro and micronutrients.  The entire database actually includes a ton more information that just these 46 nutrients, but that's all in which I'm currently interested.

With this information, I intend to construct the perfect human diet which can be blended in my Vita-Mix, stored in Ball mason jars, and consumed on the go.  You access the entire MS Access db here.

TED
Yesterday I said I was going to start Joshua Foer's Moonwalking with Einstein (which I did last night), a book on expanding one's memory.  Turns out Foer has a TED Talk, too!  His 20 minute talk is basically the intro chapter to his book -- not a how-to, rather background on the memorizing technique, his involvement, and some practical applications.  Joshua Foer: Feats of memory anyone can do.


Wikipedia
I've learned in my business classes that companies will (or should) fiercely defend their trademarked names and brands, lest they lose them as they're converted to improper nouns.  Words like zipper, yo-yo, heroin, granola, aspirin, saran wrap, and escalator used to all be Trademarks (and thus capitalized).  Companies like Xerox, Google, and Kleenex constantly are defending those names to keep them from becoming xerox, google, and kleenex.

Earlier today, I was wondering if there was a name for this process.  Turns out, yes.  It's called "Genericide".   Interesting.

Spanish Word
paja -- straw

Very good, then!  Keep up readership!

No comments:

Post a Comment