Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 16 -- New Brew Thursday and Readership

A very thank you to everyone reading my blog.  Several of you came up to me at Tim's last night just to say how much you've enjoyed reading it, and that really means a lot to me.  Big Thank You long time!

Also, last night I unlocked the New Brew Thursday badge in Untappd, which is earned after trying a new beer on three Thursdays in a 30 day period.  I unlocked it around midnight at Tim's with a Bud Light.


TED
The title of his talk attracted me to watch, but I soon learned it wasn't what I expected.  Raghava KK: What's your 200-year plan? is an interesting talk, but hasn't particularly moved me.  Raghava is an artist and talks about a 200-year plan he and his wife made to encourage goal reaching.  They calculated 200 years because at that point, they say, no one they will have ever met will be alive.  Of course, this is in fundamental opposition to a core belief of mine regarding my own future (that I personally may still be alive in 200 years).  So the point of Raghava's talk doesn't resonate, but the idea sure does.  Like many, I have a 1-year, 5-year, and rough idea of a 10-year plan.  But, unlike any generation before us, it occurred to me as I watched this talk that we should probably have a 100-year and 200-year plan, too.

I'm adding Develop a 200-Year Plan to my list of projects.  I'll share it if I'm still blogging.



Wikipedia
One of my top 5 TV shows of all time is BBC's "Sherlock".  There are now three seasons with three 88 minute episodes in each season.  I highly recommend watching it (it's on Netflix).  Sherlock uses a "memory palace," to remember and recall and absurd amount of information.  The better known name of this mnemonic device is the Method of loci.  It's an ancient memorizing technique that involves visualizing a physical place and associated various pieces of information in different rooms and cupboards of the visualized "palace."  Learning to do this is a couple spots before developing a 200-year plan on my list of projects.  I will download Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything to my Kindle when the time comes.

Spanish Word
gracias señor ¿puedo tener otro? -- thank you,sir.  may I have another?



Thanks again for reading, everyone.  You're super great.

G3

No comments:

Post a Comment