Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 20 -- [Clever Title Goes Here]

I spent most of the day revising my personal statements for law school applications.  The process is almost over and everything else is compiled and finalized (transcripts, letters of rec, resume, etc).  I've set a final date of this coming Friday to have everything uploaded and applications sent on their way.

Reading List
I'm adding a short bonus section to list the books I plan to read in the next few months.  Each book is a link to its Amazon.com page.  How about #selfhelp.

  1. Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman
  2. Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
  3. Amazing Face Reading: An Illustrated Encyclopedia for Reading Faces by Mac Fulfer
  4. Reading People: A Master Hypno-Therapist's Guide to Understanding People in 60 Seconds by Sanjay Burman
  5. How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less by Nicholas Boothman
  6. Getting Past No: Negotiating with Difficult People by William Ury
  7. A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston
  8. How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
  9. How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively by Jonathan Herring
  10. Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic by Napoleon Hill
  11. Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey
  12. And some book on speed reading... open to suggestions
TED
I realized while I watched this video that I've never heard David Blaine talk before.  Not the single greatest storyteller/orator, but I still found it worthwhile to listen to his TEDMED Talk on holding his breath for 17 minutes.  David Blaine: How I held my breath for 17 minutes.  Spoiler Alert: he cries at the end.


Wikipedia
I'm still obsessing over what might be the perfect human diet.  I haven't found any credible sources that provide suggested optimum nutrient allowances (or "SONA").  The problem with EARs (estimated average requirement), RDAs (recommended daily amount), and AIs (average intake) is that they provide amounts of most or some nutrients that most or some of a population as a whole would need to survive on average.  What I'm searching for is the amount of each micronutrient that would constitute the perfect or optimum human diet.  In my search, I've come across Total parenteral nutrition, or TPN.  The formulae used in this intravenous therapy vary and there isn't just a "perfect human nutrition".  TPN is typically used to recover from various maladies.  What I'd love is to see this used not to bring poor health individuals back to average health, but to boost average health individuals to above average health.

Spanish Word
una cerveza más, por favor -- one more beer, please


Thanks for reading, all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment