Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 18 -- See ya, Mustache

I went ahead and shaved my mustache this evening.  It was inevitable.  Next Wednesday, I'll need a clean upper lip so the SCUBA gear will fit right for class and in about a month I'm starting part time work preparing tax returns at Brady Ware in downtown Dayton.  So I'm OK with it.

TED
As much as I enjoy dreaming of a future when all my possessions are connected in the Internet of Things (see below), when my smart personal assistant seamlessly manages nearly every aspect of my social and professional life, and when the entirety of humankind's knowledge database is instantaneously accessible by all, it is only prudent to acknowledge the possibility of an event of catastrophic proportions that would effectively render the Internet and all it does for mankind useless.  Danny Hillis: The Internet could crash. We need a Plan B is a great Talk with interesting bits about both the history and future of the Internet (like there used to be a "phone book" for all the email addresses in the world issued on a regular basis).



Wikipedia
As I briefly mentioned above, the Internet of Things is the Wikipedia article for the day.  Basically, it's an environment in which "things" become "devices" and are connected to each other via the Internet, making every aspect of human life infinitely many times better.  I love it.

Spanish Word
la música electrónica de baile -- electronic dance music

No comments:

Post a Comment