Saturday, January 4, 2014

Day 4 -- annual Walgreens flu shot

Despite having set my Jawbone UP's smart vibrating alarms for 8:00 and 9:00, I got out of bed sometime around 11:00 for what must be the 21st day in a row.  It's not that I didn't wake up when the wrist-worn UP band vibrated, it's simply slothfulness.  I'm sure many can relate.

TED
One of the key pieces of information I received in my 23andMe personal genomics report was that I am at a slightly increased risk for male pattern baldness.  Thanks a lot, rs6113491 SNP!  Of slightly more importance, I have a 12.6% chance of developing Alzheimer's Disease, which is a factor of 1.75x as compared to the average.

This winded introduction to today's TED Talk does have some relevance.  Alanna Shaikh explains how she's preparing to get Alzheimer's.  She proposes a third attitude toward Alzheimer's.  The first being denial -- of which I am certainly guilty.  And the second being combative, doing crossword puzzles, Sudokus, subscribing to Lumosity (my personal pick).

Wikipedia
"I want to say just one word to you.  Just one word... Are you listening? ... Graphene."  This is how Mr. McGuire's and Benjamin's conversation would have gone if The Graduate were to be remade.  Graphene is a planar, honeycomb molecular arrangement of Carbon with some truly jaw-dropping applications.  Potential applications, I should say.  Read about it here.

Spanish Word
sobón -- a very touchy person

Everyday Photo
January 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment